Have questions?

We have answers.

Have questions?

We have answers.

Have questions?

We have answers.

Frequently Asked Questions


Have questions? We’re here to help. Below are answers to many commonly asked questions. If your questions are not answered below or you need further clarification, please Contact Us.

Am I required to submit and pay online? What are my options?

No. Though we’re pleased to offer an online option, you are not required to use this method. (However, the process will be greatly expedited if you do.) To apply and pay by mail, please visit the Duke Energy Lake Services web page to get started.

How much does it cost to apply?

The application cost varies depending upon the activity that is being proposed. For the current fee schedule, please access the Fee Schedule from the Lake Use Permitting page.

What is the HEP?

The Habitat Enhancement Program (HEP) is active on the Catawba-Wateree reservoirs and the Keowee-Toxaway reservoirs. The goal of the programs is to enhance aquatic and terrestrial habitat. For more information, please visit the Catawba-Wateree HEP and Keowee-Toxaway HEP websites. We also have fact sheets about how the HEP fees are structured at the lakes (CWHEP, KTHEP).

Do I need to pay a Habitat Enhancement Fee?

For requests on Catawba-Wateree and Keowee-Toxaway reservoirs, a separate Habitat Enhancement Program (HEP) fee may also be required. For more information about the HEP fee, see the CWHEP or KTHEP fee descriptions or contact LakeServices@duke-energy.com.

How long will it take to process my lake use permit application?

You should plan on it taking 30 days for Duke Energy Lake Services to process your application once you have provided all the necessary information and paid your application fees.

My pier doesn’t have a tag. What should I do?

Just because you can’t find a tag on your pier doesn’t necessarily mean it wasn’t permitted. Sometimes the tags are difficult to find – they may have been covered by bumpers, were moved to another location for safekeeping (like the garage or in a storage locker), or may simply have fallen off the pier. Simply note in your application you are unable to find a tag. We are sometimes able to locate the tag number in our records.

How are refunds handled?

  • Application filing fees and HEP fees will only be refunded if the applicant withdraws the application prior to Lake Services beginning the processing of the application (i.e., after the initial screening is complete) or if the application is denied by Lake Services.
  • All refunds for applications made through this web portal will arrive via check 10-12 business days after refund request is approved. No refunds will be made via credit card or PayPal processing.

There may be an unauthorized structure within the Project Boundary adjoining my property. Will I be penalized?

After-the-fact applications may be accepted if the unauthorized structure conforms to specific requirements. Contact LakeServices@duke-energy.com regarding your specific situation.

What lakes and reservoirs do these fees apply to?

These fees and deposits apply as noted to all allowable, non-exempted lake use requests on the following reservoirs managed by Duke Energy:

  • Keowee
  • Belews
  • Blewett Falls
  • Fishing Creek
  • Glenville
  • Hickory
  • James
  • Jocassee
  • Lookout Shoals
  • Norman
  • Rhodhiss
  • Robinson
  • Summit
  • Tillery
  • Wateree
  • Wylie
  • Mountain Island
  • Rocky Creek
  • Nantahala Area Reservoirs:
    • Glenville
    • Nantahala
    • Bear Creek
    • Cedar Cliff
    • Wolf Creek