Lake Use Permits
Welcome, Duke Energy Lake Neighbors.
Online Application and Payment Information
We’re pleased to offer an online solution to expedite your lake use application process including digital document upload and online payment (via PayPal). To use this site, you must first register to create an account. Returning applicants should Log In using the link at the top of the page.
To apply and pay by mail, please visit the Duke Energy Lake Services web page.
Required Documents List
The following items will be required to complete your lake use permit application. You will be required to upload these records, so please have scanned or electronic versions (.jpg, .png, .gif, .pdf) of the following available when you begin the application process. Please capture as clear a picture as possible when using your smart phone.
- Private Facilities User Agreement: You and each co-applicant (in the case of Common-Use Facilities) are required to submit this form before your application will be processed. Please print, sign and scan it.
- Proof of previous Habitat Enhancement Program payments (if applicable)
- Recent Survey (stamped/signed by a professional licensed surveyor showing the location of the existing or proposed structure and/or survey of the existing or proposed stabilization)
- Photos along property shoreline and photos of any existing structures and/or stabilization in or near the water
- Applicable local, state, and federal permits
- Plan and profile drawing showing all measurements and elevations
- Permitting history records
Lake Use Permit Application Process
Once you submit your lake use permit application, Duke Energy’s Lake Services team will process it. Typically, Lake Services will process your application within 30 days of receiving a complete application. There is a $5.00 non-refundable convenience fee for online applications.
- Duke Energy will screen your application to determine if it is complete. Please note: fields with an asterisk are required.
- If the application is not complete or does not include all items and information listed in the checklist, you will be contacted via email to provide the missing information. If you do not provide the requested information within 30 days, your online application will be terminated; you will not be charged for the application.
- You will be notified via email when the initial screening has been completed. At that point, Duke Energy will request your online payment. If you do not provide payment within 15 days, your online application will be terminated.
- A Duke Energy representative will visit the site to conduct a visual inspection. Please note that if the Duke Energy representative identifies a noncompliance (such as unauthorized modifications to previously permitted piers or other violations of a Shoreline Management Plan), such violations will have to be resolved before your application will be processed.
- You will be notified via email of approval or denial.
- If your application is APPROVED, print and post your approval letter in a watertight bag near the site where the work is to be done such that it is viewable from water. The notice must remain posted until a representative inspects the project and determines the project was constructed consistent with the approval.
- If your application is DENIED, your application fees (excluding the $5.oo convenience fee) will be refunded to you.